Forums Help & support What's happen if I change password ?

This topic contains 34 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Prabhukumar R 1 month, 1 week ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)
  • Author

Max

souds great – thank you

#31052 Reply

Prabhukumar R

Hello Max,

We wish to add one more info. We need to update the contents of the encrypted files to re-encrypt with the new password. So just update the contents of the previously encrypted files.
    Or we will share one workaround – Use the Upgrade files to AES-256 file menu option to re-encrypt all the files with a new password

#31053 Reply

Max

sounds ideal – thank you

#31399 Reply

Anonymous

Hi Prabhukumar,

Thank you. I was about to change the password and, selecting File / Option / change password, it takes me to the online account.

Then I find myself on the website page, where it says ” Choose something difficult to guess, since it will protect passwords in the online password manager as well as access to the site”

Am I on the right page ? Am i changing the right password ? As I do not use the password manager (maybe it is the same password as axcrypt, but wanted to double check)

By the way, do I need to update the software version? I am not sure I am up to date

thanks

Max

#31400 Reply

max

Hi Prabhukumar,

thank you for your reply. I was evfentualyl about to change password, ad having selected File / options / change password, I was brought to the website.

Here it says . “Choose something difficult to guess, since it will protect passwords in the online password manager as well as access to the site.” , without mentioning the axcrypt password

Am I on the right page ? Probaly the password is the same as for the password manager , but wanted to double check

thank you

Max

#31403 Reply

max

Sorry Prabhukumar,

reading again the old posts I am confused about this:

“Note that the file can actually still be opened with the original password, since the file encryption key is encrypted with that also, still (until it’s updated).”

” We need to update the contents of the encrypted files to re-encrypt with the new password. So just update the contents of the previously encrypted files.”

I do not understand: does the update happen automatically or does the update happen when I update (change) each file (and this may happen one by one or never happen if I dont work on the file individually)

The goal is not allowing the old password to decrypt the “old” files

thank you

Max

#31491 Reply

max

Hi,

is the website still moderated or should I write to support?

Thank you

Max

#31522 Reply

Prabhukumar R

Hello max,

Apologies for the delayed response

Please use this option as we said in the previous “we will share one workaround – Use the Upgrade files to AES-256 file menu option to reencrypt all the files with a new password

#31530 Reply

max

Hi Prabhukumar,

no problem for the delay, thank you for your reply. I will. Could you please confirm that the steps in my previous post are correct ? As I still need to change the password :)

[having selected File / options / change password, I was brought to the website.

Here it says . “Choose something difficult to guess, since it will protect passwords in the online password manager as well as access to the site.” , without mentioning the axcrypt password

Am I on the right page ? Probaly the password is the same as for the password manager , but wanted to double check ]

thank you

Max

#31553 Reply

Prabhukumar R

Hello max,

Am I on the right page? – Yes, you are on the right page.

If you are asking any Queries, please write us at support@axcrypt.net.

#31571 Reply

max

Thank you

#31593 Reply

max

Hi Prabhukumar,

Sorry I need some more assistance please.

I have changed the password online and selected “auto upgrade to 1.x …”, now it is ticked. It has not changed the old encrypted files to the new password.

DO I need to click on “upgrade to 1.x …” instead ? But do i need to select the folders one by one ?

2) Also I have logged in with the new password, with an internet connection, and I get a warning that mentions local and online password.

(like in this post )

Do I have to ” try to clear the AxCrypt local contents by clicking the Reset button in the sign in dialog or via the AxCrypt file menu File | Options | Clear All Settings & Restart.” as you suggested there ?

thanks

max

#31604 Reply

Prabhukumar R

Hello max,

Please use the option(File |Option|Auto upgrade files to AES-256)  from the file menu. Once we clicked/enabled the menu, it will ask us to a password. Please enter the password. now please try to open your files.

2. Please check the status on the AxCrypt app title bar – this might be offline. If yes, First you have enabled the option Always Offline (File|option|Always offline).

then now disable the option (Always Offline) then Exit in the AxCrypt app. Check your internet connection now start the AxCrypt app and credentials. Now check AxCrypt app are offline or not.

Please use your password to sign in with the AxCrypt app(internet-enabled) without any issues.

If you are asking any Queries, please write us at support@axcrypt.net.

#31624 Reply

max

Hi Prabhukumar,

thank you for your help.

Firstly:

“If you are asking any Queries, please write us at support@axcrypt.net.”

Do you want me to write to support ? Are mine queries too?

1) “Please use the option(File |Option|Auto upgrade files to AES-256)  from the file menu. Once we clicked/enabled the menu, it will ask us to a password. Please enter the password. now please try to open your files.”

I have done this, but I can still open previous encrypted files with old passwords. Also I can login in the software with both new and old passwords. Is this normal ?

2) “Please check the status on the AxCrypt app title bar – this might be offline. If yes, First you have enabled the option Always Offline (File|option|Always offline). then now disable the option (Always Offline) then Exit in the AxCrypt app. Check your internet connection now start the AxCrypt app and credentials. Now check AxCrypt app are offline or not.”

ALways Offline mode was not selected. WHenever I use the previous password to login or to open a file, I see the warning message I mentioned and also a “Local” next to my email address on the status bar. There is always an internet connection.

by the way when I changed my password in the past, I did not have any problem! Maybe it was the 1.x version

Thank you

Max

#31651 Reply

Prabhukumar R

Hello max,

Do you want me to write to support you?  –yes, Please write an email to our support.

Please try to clear the AxCrypt local contents by using the AxCrypt file menu File | Options | Clear All Settings & Restart or clicking the switch user button in the sign-in dialog. After that, So, Please use your latest password to sign in with the AxCrypt app(internet-enabled) without any issues.

We will explain more about, what is the local mode?

You might be using your old AxCrypt password(which is different from the one that exists in our account server) to sign in to the AxCrypt app.

If users used an old AxCrypt account password to sign in with the AxCrypt app, then the AxCrypt app will warn the user with local mode warning text.

You can also use the AxCrypt app in local mode. But the currently used sign-in password will be used to encrypt the files. We do not suggest the users use it in local mode unless any special cases.

So, Please use your latest password to sign in with the AxCrypt app(internet-enabled) without any issues.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)
Reply To: What's happen if I change password ?
Your information: