Forums Help & support more than one email

This topic contains 10 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Svante 6 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Kent H Karrh

Hello,

I have two email accounts.  I am registered with Axcrpt with one account but I am doing shared documents through a different email.  My friend is emailing documents to the unregistered email account.  Does he just need to add both emails to the key sharing even though he will on be emailing to the one account?

Kent

#6336 Reply

Jose

The key sharing only works to the address that is entered.

For my example assume you have a Hotmail account which is registered with AxCrypt and a Gmail account which is not registered with AxCrypt.

AxCrypt needs to know which recipient is authorised to open the file therefore if your friend is emailing your Hotmail account then you’ll be able to open the file assuming you’re signed into AxCrypt.

If your friend emails the Gmail account then you’ll not be able to open the file unless you accept his invitation to ‘join’ AxCrypt for the Gmail address. You could set the same password if you want (to simplify things) because only you need to know the password.

But if complicates things for him and you having two email addresses sharing things to and fro because you’ll have to Sign Out of AxCrypt and then Sign In each time you want to view the file using the different email!

#6339 Reply

Kent

Ok, now I am trying to register my axcrpt id under the other email address but it will not let me.  It is telling me I am already registered under the other email address but I am not.  Please help.

#6340 Reply

Nick

You must have registered that email address by mistake. That’s not a problem; you just need to sign into AxCrypt using whatever password you think you’ve set. Ensure you type in the exact email address into AxCrypt along with your password.

If you absolutely can’t remember your password then, as a last resort, you can reset your password but this means you’ll lose access to any data that you encrypted with that email address.* It will however let you start using that email address again for newly encrypted files.

*the one you thought you hadn’t registered.

https://account.axcrypt.net/en/Home/PasswordReset

#6341 Reply

Kent

Hello again,

My friend just sent me an email with an encrypted file and I clicked on the document and it asks me for my password.  I put in my password and it will not take it after several attempts.  Do I need to get him to send me his password?  I know my password is correct as I just logged into axcrypt with it.  My friend is a axcrypt user also.

Kent

#6342 Reply

Nick

No, your friend has his password and you have yours.

• He needs to ‘share’ the file with you first.
    • Then he needs to email you the file (or upload the file to your cloud drive).
    • Make sure he uses the correct email address and that you are signed into AxCrypt.

I recommend watching the official AxCrypt video on how to share files. The feature is really very simple to use.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9z3KOZD-Yks

#6343 Reply

Kent

Hello,

I am trying to change the email address associated with my axcrypt ID but they system will not let me do this. I got an email saying that it is already registered when it is not.  I don’t want to use the original email address but want to change it to the one that I am corresponding with my friend on.  Please help.  Can we set up a time that you can go over this by phone?  This is getting very complicated.

Kent

#6344 Reply

Huw

Kent, this is first and foremost a forum of other AxCrypt users and therefore none of us are in a position to telephone you.

AxCrypt employees do offer direct support for their Premium customers but to obtain a priority response from them (and/or a telephone call) you’ll need to purchase premium if you haven’t done so already. If you are a premium customer then you can log into your online account and raise a priority help request which’ll go straight through to them.

I’ll answer your question although Nick has already given you the correct information so I’ll try and explain it another away.

• Open the AxCrypt software app on your computer (do not<b> </b>open<b> </b>the AxCrypt website)
    • If you’re asked to sign in then type in your password. (If it doesn’t recognize it then press cancel)
    • Press the File menu, then Options and then Clear All Settings and Exit
    • Then visit this website, type in the email address you want to use and follow the reset instructions
    • Once you’ve reset your password, open the AxCrypt software app on your computer (not the AxCrypt website)
    • Sign in to the software app using your email address and new password
    • Give your friend this email address and ask him to share the file with you (instructions here if he needs them)
    #6347 Reply

Svante
    Spectator

Hello Kent (and everyone else helping out here),

It really is very simple. The confusion here is about regular account management, and it’s nothing specific about AxCrypt. It’s how all account systems work.

An account always has some kind of identifier naming it. Sometimes it’s your realy name, sometimes it may be your phone number – but the absolutely most common account name identifier is an email address. AxCrypt accounts use the email address.

This type of system typically also relies on access to the mailbox associated with the email address as ‘proof of ownership’. That’s why we and everyone else sends out these emails with a verification link. The link contains something unique, that when used ‘proves’ to the server that you actually have access to the mailbox associated with the email address.

So, if I go ot a site, and enter *your* email address (let’s say bob@axcrypt.local), the account is created and an email is sent to *you*. I will never see it. You will see it, and hopefully just throw it away.

Or, you go to the site, register with your email (still bob@axcrypt.local in this alternate example), get the verification email, click on the link – use it a little bit, and then forget about it. Years passes…

Now, you are at the site again, you register with a different email (let’s say david@axcrypt.local), get the verification email and complete the process. Then you realize that you’d after like to use bob@axcrypt.local after all. So, you ask the site to change from ‘david@axcrypt.local’ -> ‘bob@axcrypt.local’.

But, ‘bob@axcrypt.local’ already exists on the server! The server has no real way of knowing that ‘david@axcrypt.local’ and ‘bob@axcrypt.local’ are really the same entity. So, it tells you “Sorry, but that account is already taken”.

What to do?

Simple – since you are in affect both, just sign in to ‘bob@axcrypt.local’ (if necessary reset the password, which you can do since you have access to the mail box), and then delete the account ‘bob@axcrypt.local’.

Now, you can go back to ‘david@axcrypt.local’, and change the email to ‘bob@axcrypt.local’ which is no longer existing, and thus the server allows the change.

The above procedure may differ in detail depending on the provider, but the core issue remains the same. In order to create, or move an account, you need to prove ownership of the account email. In the case of the change scenario, to both.

#6349 Reply

Kent

Hello Svante,

This all sounds simple if your are a tech person but I am not.  I only have one email account that I signed up with.  I never registered with the other email account even though it is telling me I did.  So I don’t know how to delete the acrypt Id for the other account because I never signed up with it or assigned it a password.  I people keep saying I did but I didn’t! Your steps above don’t indicate exactly where to go on the screen for each item you indicate. I need specific instruction on where to go for each part of the web page.  Can I get some time to go over this by phone?   It’s been too hard to do this by email and this has been going on for days.  (And by the way, I am a premium user as my email address indicates)

Kent

#6350 Reply

Svante
    Spectator

Hello Kent,

I see you switched to the Premium support channel, which I was going to suggest anyway. So we’ll respond there.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
Reply To: more than one email
Your information: