Forums Help & support How to key share a file

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Prabhukumar R 1 year, 10 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Beibei

Hello, I emailed encrypt files to someone else. Since there is no PW, how can the other person open the file?

#5743 Reply

Svante
    Spectator

Hello,

There is a password, it’s the password you use to sign in to AxCrypt with.  But, that’s your personal secret password you should never share with anyone.

To share an encrypted file, select the ‘key sharing’ option, and enter the recipients AxCrypt ID (email address). This will cause a shared file key to be embedded into the file. You can then send the file to the recipient by whatever means.

When the recipient signs in to AxCrypt with his/her own password he/she will be able to open it.

See videos at https://forum.axcrypt.net/ .

#13495 Reply

Jay West

I use the free version a few times during tax season. I can open a file he has emailed me and off line told me the password.

However how do I send him an encryted file. During the encryption process it used to prompt me to put a password on the file. I did and then emailed him and he opened it with the pw i told him via phone.

Now it encrypts a file, and doesn’t ask to put a password on it. I guess can open it because a-i’m on, and b-i know i can use the password for my id if i had to open it.

so how do i send him this encrypted file?  it appears i’d have to give him my axcrypt id password. he just emailed me an encrypted file and phoned to tell me the password. it all worked.

please advise

#13496 Reply

Jay West

again i have the free version which appears to not allow key sharing.

#13498 Reply

Prabhukumar R

Hello Jay West,

AxCrypt 2 does not support specific password for specific files. Also AxCrypt 2 now use a single sign on model where the same password is used to sign in to our servers and to protect your files.

AxCrypt Key Sharing is a Premium(paid) feature. But you can use it as a free via Key Management.

AxCrypt app having the feature called Key Management. Using this feature, you can export your public keys and import some other AxCrypt user’s public keys to share the encrypted file to others.

You can export your public sharing key from the AxCrypt app menu File | Key Management | Export My Public Sharing Key.

After exporting your public key, you need to send the key file to the 3rd party peoples(who is going to share and send the file with you).

Now 3rd party people need to import your public key file to their AxCrypt app using the menu option File | Key Management | Import Someone’s Public Sharing Key.

Now they are able to share the encrypted file with you using our Key Sharing feature.

There is no need to share passwords in order to send or share files securely with others. AxCrypt has a key sharing feature letting you add recipients by email address, who when they receive the file can open it with their own AxCrypt password.

Key sharing embeds the shared key into the file. The file must thus first be key shared with the recipient, then sent or file shared. Please note that AxCrypt does not share or send the actual file.

To see a quick instructional video explaining how to use key sharing, please view https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9z3KOZD-Yks

Note that the person you’re sending the file has to use AxCrypt 2 with the email address you shared the file.

If  you don’t like the AxCrypt 2.x app, then you can use the old version of Axcrypt app.

We are stopped developing new features and fixing issues for the legacy version(AxCrypt 1.x). So we will suggest you to use the AxCrypt 2.x app.

#26461 Reply

Jimmy Mayer

Something puzzles me.

You send Mr. X an encrypted file with an embedded key. He then, using AxCrypt2, can open the file.

<span style=”text-decoration: underline;”>But so can anyone else, using AxCrypt2!!!
    </span>So, how is this secure???
    Much better to send a Word document, secured with a password, and then send the password via another medium.
    I have been considering the use of AxCrypt for my company, but I frankly don’t see how it can possibly be a secure means for sharing sensitive documents.

Am I missing something?

Jimmy

#26469 Reply

Prabhukumar R

Hello Jimmy Mayer,

We have responded to your support email.

“Please avoid sending a same query in different mediums. You may get duplicate response”

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Reply To: How to key share a file
Your information: