Forums Help & support How can I permanently remove axcrypt encryption from my files and folders?

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Gary Mark 2 days, 22 hours ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

jeff

I have a ton of files and folders on my computer all over the place, and I want to decrypt them all, basically all at one whack, rather than one-by-one.

I put in File Explorer (win11 pro) to find any axx or .axx files. It pulled them up, I highlighted them all, then to decrypt. I thought maybe it was doing them and knew it’d take a while but after a while I thought it was just getting hung up and wasn’t getting anywhere. Mind you, some files were also encypted with bitlocker and zipped, if that makes any difference.

I stopped the process through task manager.

I go back and start doing some folders separately. It’s possible some docs inside the folder have never been decryped, and some have been. I right click the folder, decrypt. I open the folder, and there might be several docs still showing up as encrypted.

Some folders I select decrypt, I can then open the folder, but when I exit the folder, it still shows the icon that it’s encrypted.

How can I remove the encryption from all my files and folders permanently?

#32104 Reply

Prabhukumar R

Hello jeff,

You have the same question asking in Support. we already respond to your question via email. Please check your email.

“Please avoid sending the same query in different mediums. You may get the duplicate response”

#32365 Reply

Ritchie

j’ai utilisé AxCryt il y a très longtemps pour encrypter des fichiers.
    J’ai tout naturellement oublié le code d’encryptage.
    Puis-je espérer récupérer mes fichiers ou dois-je en faire le deuil ?
    Par avance merci

#32373 Reply

Prabhukumar R

Hello Ritchie,

AxCrypt will allow the users to decrypt the encrypted file with the original password which is used for encryption.

If you think you almost know the password, we have simple software allowing you to try to find your password, and you can download the most recent version from https://account.axcrypt.net/Download/AxBruteForce.exe and read of how to use it at https://www.axcrypt.net/axcrypt-brute-force/ . Please note that we cannot provide support beyond this.

Unfortunately, if you do not know the password for an AxCrypt-encrypted file you cannot open it, even if you can sign in to the account. This is by design, it’s just this situation that AxCrypt is made for and it works like this even if you actually are the original owner of the file.

So please try to remember the file password(which was used in the encryption process) to decrypt/open the old encrypted files.

If you do not remember the password to your account, you can always reset it. This is not a way to recover encrypted files! It’s only to allow you to sign in to the AxCrypt app and web. The new password will be used to encrypt new files. Go to https://account.axcrypt.net/Home/PasswordReset to do this, or you can also go there from AxCrypt with File | Options | Password Reset.

For more info about Password Reset: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6whtjSb3pc and https://www.axcrypt.net/blog/password-reset-and-axcrypt

A final note: Do not forget your password, or you will lose your encrypted file and always keep a backup of all your important files, encrypted or not.

If you are asking any Queries, please write us at support@axcrypt.net.

#35577 Reply

eachhabitual

Thank you for your response. I apologize if I misled you; occasionally, I think I explain things too well. I understand that depending on the size, it may take some time to encrypt data, but I’m not worried about it.

slice master

#36100 Reply

Judy

Moderator, could you. please provide the answer to Jeff’s problem here? I came to this forum searching for answers to the same problem that Jeff described. It would be helpful for other users who go to the forum to have the answer or a redirection to the other form where the answer is. I need a solution to this problem as it is significanly impacting my ability to work because all of my files, that I did NOT include in the app as an encrypted folder (I have only one folder dedicated to AxCrypt for all files needing securing) are encrypted. I’ve done the tedious task of manually unsecuring each file only to return to my computer to see that they have been all re-encrypted. Please provide support as well as a solution. This issue has been going on for over a year with no resolution and no solution for your users. We still cannot unsecure an entire folder for some reason. We still encounter other files being encrypted that we did not select to encrypt, and we still have this problem after the tedious process of manually undoing it all. This problem should not persist for so long for your users given that I’m sure the tech team is aware.

#36111 Reply

Prabhukumar R

Hello Judy,

You can able to decrypt the AxCrypt secured folder by navigating to the Secured Folders Tab from the AxCrypt app. Then Right click on the selected folder (which you want to decrypt) and choose the menu option Decrypt Permanently.

Incase the folder is not listed in the Secured Folder list, then you have to secure the folder again using the Add Secured Folder option from the right click content menu.

Instead of adding the parent folder, just add/create a separate folder for nonencrypted files, then the selected(which you wish to secure) folders to the secured folders list.

For example, Consider A is a parent folder and it has a subfolders B and C.  B and C have 2 subfolders each, named 1 and 2.

If you wish to encrypt Only C folder files. Then just add the C folder into the secured folders list.

If you do not want to secure the subfolders 1 and 2 of parent folder C, then you have to disable the Include subfolder feature. If Include sub folder enabled, AxCrypt will encrypt all the subfolder’s files.

Include sub folder feature designed to encrypt the subfolders’ files of the secured parent folder(s). If you do not want to secure subfolder files then just disable the feature. Also, You can keep the folders seperatly as per your need.

If you have any quires, Please write an email to support@axcrypt.net.

#37088 Reply

Gary Mark

It seems you are looking for a way to permanently decrypt all files and folders on your computer. Here are some comments and suggestions about this process:

Decryption process: Decrypting files and folders can take time, especially if you have many files or large folders cookie clicker. Be patient and make sure your computer doesn’t suddenly shut down during this process.

BitLocker: If some files are encrypted with BitLocker, you need to decrypt them first. BitLocker is a full-disk encryption tool, and decryption may require you to enter a password or use a recovery key.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
Reply To: How can I permanently remove axcrypt encryption from my files and folders?
Your information: