Forums Bugs & issues encryption and decryption without password

This topic contains 8 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Yon 6 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Yon

I find that I need to enter the password only once after booting my system  After that I can en- and de-crypt any number of files without having to reenter the password, which I think is very insecure!  Is here a way of making it require the password (key) for every act of en- or decription?

#9569 Reply

Svante
    Spectator

Hello Yon,

You can set an inactivity timer, and if you have a screen saver you’ll also have to enter the password after it has been activated.

If you *ever* leave your computer signed in an untrusted environment, there are no longer any guarantees about anything. It doesn’t matter how AxCrypt operates in this case.

Take as a an absolute routine to never leave your computer without locking the screen first.

Please read https://forum.axcrypt.net/blog/leaving-computer-axcrypt/ for a longer discussion about this.

#9571 Reply

Yon

Thanks for your reply.  Unfortunately, the inactivity timer seems to be unavailable on the free version.  I might be willing to pay a reasonable one-time amount for the Premium version, but 30 euros a year – no, thanks.  And I wish to point out that my previous free version did require the password at every decryption!  I find that in many new versions of software programs there is a plethora of fancy new features, but truly useful ones often disappear.

#9575 Reply

Svante
    Spectator

Hello Yon,

We do believe that the version 2 is an improvement, and that the use of a single password, that is remembered for the duration of a session, encourages the use of a good, strong password.

However, it’s of course also a matter of opinion, but you are of course free to use the old version 1 for as long as you like!

#9578 Reply

Yon

Trouble is, my old version 1 won’t install on my new Windows 10 system.  No problem on Win 7.

#9579 Reply

Svante
    Spectator

Hello Yon,

And just how old is that version? We know of no problems with installing and using the most recent AxCrypt version 1.7 on Windows 10. You can download this version from our legacy web site http://www.axantum.com/ .

If you are having trouble installing that version on Windows 10, can you please send a screen shot of whatever error message you get?

#9581 Reply

Yon

My old version was 1.4.  So I uninstalled 2.1, rebooted, downloaded the 1.7 installer and ran it.  It seemed to run to completion, but the axcrypt application file that it put in the program files/axantum/axcrypt folder doesn’t run – nothing happens when you click on it.  Axcrypt 1.7 appears in the Programs list that you get in the Control panel, but it does not appear on the system list of apps.

#9582 Reply

Svante
    Spectator

Hello Yon,

AxCrypt 1.4 is not old. It’s ancient, it’s over 15 years old! You *really* should consider keeping your system and software up to date.

I’m very confused when you say “the axcrypt application file that it put in the program files/axantum/axcrypt folder doesn’t run – nothing happens when you click on it“. Of course not, AxCrypt version 1 never worked like that.

You say you’ve used AxCrypt since 1.4 – it never worked like you try to – clicking the AxCrypt executable. (Version 2 *does* work like that).

Are you sure you’ve used AxCrypt version 1 before?

Please read the instructions on how AxCrypt 1 works at http://www.axantum.com/ .

#9583 Reply

Yon

Sorry, I haven’t used Axcrypt for a while so I forgot how to do it.  Now that I remember it’s working fine.  Thanks for your help!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
Reply To: encryption and decryption without password
Your information: