Forums Help & support decrypting failure

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Prabhukumar R 2 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Chris Leslie

I have axcrypt 1.7.3180.0 installed and have one file encrypted using it. This has worked well so several years, but ha now stopped decypting on the given passphrase (which I know is corect). Since I last decryped the file successfully the only change that I can see might have affected it is that I have done a chleanup of the disk. Is it possible that a vital file has been deleted, and if there is such a vital file what is iy called and wher is it located — I can then recover it from backup.

Alternatively, if something is corrupt, is installing a later version of axctypt going to help?

Any advice welcome

#20192 Reply

Prabhukumar R

Hello Chris Leslie,

Please check the file size, AxCrypt file format and also check the file is Corrupted or not?if file is corrupted/demaged cannot decrypt that file.

Most often, this error occurs because the file is not produced by AxCrypt, but rather a different kind of file accidentally renamed to end with .axx. Another scenario is that it is a left-over after a previous decryption was interrupted at the stage where the original is overwritten.

If the file is actually damaged to this extent, no, it can’t be fixed. The data is just not there to decrypt it.

But we have a feature called Try Broken File. You can able to decrypt the corrupted AxCrypt encrypted files by navigating the menu File | Options | enable Debug from the AxCrypt app.

Now you can able to see the Debug the menu in the AxCrypt app. From the debug menu you have to select Try Broken File.

Now you will be prompted for file selection. Select the corrupted encrypted file and then AxCrypt will try to decrypt the file. If successfully decrypted, then you are able to see the decrypted file in the location. Otherwise sorry to say, AxCrypt can’t decrypt that file.

please check the file structure to make sure that the file was not corrupted by using the AxCrypt menu option(Debug |Check file). You can see all OK in the check file summary, if the file is valid.

Still, you are facing any query, please provide detailed information about the issue and write a mail to support@axcrypt.net. We are happy to help you.

#20209 Reply

chris leslie

It can be shown that the file is not corrupt. I have downloaded from the backup the file as it existed before the last change. The file size is consistant between the two files, and the older file will also not decrypt with the correct password. As that easlier file clearly decryped in order to be changed it is not the file that is at fault. Could the AXcrypt progrma on the machine have developed an infelicity? I still have the install module for that AXcrypt — if I reinstall it will it work with the existing encryped filed or does it set up new passcodes? Equally, if I install a later version of AXcrypyt should it work with existing encrypted files?

Thank you

#20279 Reply

Prabhukumar R

Hello chris leslie,

and the older file will also not decrypt with the correct password. — No, AxCrypt will allow the users to decrypt the encrypted file with the original password which is used for encryption.

Could the AXcrypt progrma on the machine have developed an infelicity?  — if file is corrupted/demaged cannot decrypt that file. If the file is actually damaged to this extent, no, it can’t be fixed. The data is just not there to decrypt it.

I still have the install module for that AXcrypt — if I reinstall it will it work with the existing encryped filed or does it set up new passcodes? Equally, if I install a later version of AXcrypyt should it work with existing encrypted files? — AxCrypt 1.x and 2.x are compatible in the sense that 2.x can open all files secured with 1.x. In addition to that, 2.x implements of lot of new rich features, while some functions of 1.x are deprecated. Files secured with AxCrypt 2.x are not possible to open with AxCrypt 1.x. You cannot have both AxCrypt 1.x and 2.x installed at the same time.

You can open/decrypt the previously encrypted document with the latest version(2.x). Still, you can open/decrypt the old encrypted files with the original file password(which was used in the file encryption process).

#20281 Reply

chris leslie

I.m sorry — you seem to have missed the point about my first statement. I downloaded an older version of the encrypted file that I knew had decrypted with the correct password. This shows that it is not the file that is corrupted as the older version has decrypted.

Thus the problem clearly is that the AXCrypt program itself has a fault, and my question is can I reload the software without causing any problems. I suspect that the answer is that the password is held in an encrypted format withing the file and nowhere else, in which case the answer is ‘yes’!

Chris

#20316 Reply

Prabhukumar R

Hello chris leslie,

Thus the problem clearly is that the AXCrypt program itself has a fault— we will investigate the same.

is can I reload the software without causing any problems. — yes, you can reload the software without causing any problems.

I suspect that the answer is that the password is held in an encrypted format withing the file and nowhere else, in which case the answer is ‘yes’!  — yes Correct, AxCrypt is a file encryption software with no backdoor. AxCrypt do not store users’ information or password in our server, instead it will keep the users’ basic information like Email address, IP Address and more.

Please read more info about how AxCrypt works and technical information page: https://www.axcrypt.net/information/technical/  or   https://www.axcrypt.net/support/faq

#20570 Reply

Scott Ehrenberg

Help.  I recently upgraded from version 1.0 which I have used since 2013 to the newest version.  Now I can decrypt some of my files (originally encrypted with version 1.0) but not others.  I have not changed my decryption phrase. Help!

#20582 Reply

Prabhukumar R

Hello Scott Ehrenberg,

We have responded to your support email. Please check the same.

“Please avoid sending a same query in different mediums. You may get duplicate response”

Still, if you are facing any issues, please write to Support@axcrypt.net. we are happy to help you.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
Reply To: decrypting failure
Your information: