Forums Help & support Update password on existing axx files

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  DavidH 1 year, 2 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

DavidH

Hi,
    I am presently changing all passwords and credentials whilst moving away from Lastpass to an alternative provider.
    Axcrypt was near the top of the pile to get done, I have changed the login and thus the password to encrypt files going forwards.

This leaves all encrypted files up until today that can be opened with either my new or old password.
    Are there any tools to systematically decrypt/re-encrypt all files in a directory tree so they are only now able to be opened with the new password ?

#29901 Reply

Prabhukumar R

Hello DavidH

There is one option, first decrypt all the encrypted files. Next, you can use the latest password to sign-into the AxCrypt app. now encrypt the files using your latest password. after encrypting the file, you can use the same latest password to decrypt the files.

AxCrypt will allow the users to decrypt the encrypted file with the original password which is used for encryption.

If the file was encrypted with a different password than your sign in password, then you have to enter the file password while viewing/decrypting the encrypted file.

For example: Try to encrypt a file with your AxCrypt password and then reset your AxCrypt account password using Reset Password Feature. Now if you open the encrypted file, you will be prompted for enter the file password (which is used for encryption of the file).

The above situation was happened for you. So please enter your file password(which is used for encryption) then try to decrypt the encrypted file.

If the above doesn’t help, please write an email to our support team support@axcrypt.net.

#29911 Reply

DavidH

Hi,

I tackled based on age of encrypted file then folders; I used Everything (void tools) for file searching (ridiculously fast searches) to find the oldest file, opened the folder, copied all axx files to a temp decrypt/reencrypt folder on desktop, process them and then copy back to dropbox folder that then synchronised changes to NAS and cloud backups.
    If the oldest file was in a nest of folders that were all encrypted, copied whole folder structure to temp folder and used branch view with subfolders in Total commander to show all files in the folder structure as flat, process the files and copy the whole lot back into dropbox folder.
    Probably could have done this far more effectively but this only took a few hours to change all files.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Reply To: Update password on existing axx files
Your information: