Forums Bugs & issues Potential Security Vulnerability (secure delete and cleaning)

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Prabhukumar R 1 month ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

James

I have been using axcrypt for many years and have tried axcrypt 2.1.1606 and 1618 premium version.

1. It says axcrypt premium features secure delete function. But when i deleted encryped axcrypt file using secure deleted fuction and tried recovering it using recuva, i discovered that axcrypt secure delete function just changes the file extensions to .tmp and utilize normal delete function. If i recover the deleted file and change the file extension to original extention, it opens without any problems. (For example, i delete ‘driver.iso’ using axcrypt secure delete – axcrypt just changes ‘driver.iso’ to ‘driver.tmp’ and delete it normally just as windows explorer delete files. – when i recover ‘.tmp’ file and rename it to driver.iso, the file is not corrupted and opens as usual.)

2. And when i open the encrypted axcrypt file and not click the clean button when exiting due to blackout or bluescreen, i discovered that in ‘c\users\user name \Appdata\Local\temp\axcrypt\’, the files (For example video files)still remain with the .tmp extension within a folder. In case of video files, when i drag that .tmp file to media players, it plays without any problems.

• I think above mentioned issues are potential security vulnerability to axcrypt. Hope you can resolve these issues as soon as possible.
      Thanks.
    #27182 Reply

Prabhukumar R

Hello James,

We have responded to your support email.

“Please avoid sending a same query in different mediums. You may get duplicate response”

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
Reply To: Potential Security Vulnerability (secure delete and cleaning)
Your information: