Forums Bugs & issues Must be logged?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Edgar 7 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Edgar

Do we must be logged in on AxCrypt service app in order to encrypt/decrypt local files with passwords? Always? There is no option like “keep always logged in AxCrypt”.

The old version was so simple. We just right click a file, enter a password and done. Now everytime I have to enter two passwords.

Thank you

#3296 Reply

Svante
    Spectator

Hello Edgar!

You need to be “Signed In” to AxCrypt. This is essentially the same function as the checkboxes “Remember for decryption” and “Remember for encryption” in the previous version, just that we made it a requirement to make it easier to use with fewer options.

As for the two password situation, that’s probably because you have an older version of AxCrypt 2. The current version will offer to automatically convert to version 2, thereafter you’ll just have to enter the one password for the entire session regardless of how many and how many times you open a file.

Get the most recent version of AxCrypt, and if you’ve already declined the option to turn it on automatically, turn on the auto convert feature here:

Enable Auto Convert

#3314 Reply

Edgar

Hi Svante!

I’m using 2.1.139, just confused… sorry.

So now all my files will be encrypted/decrypted with the public/private key and this key is protected with the same password used to “Sign In” to AxCrypt?

Thank you for your attention

#3324 Reply

Svante
    Spectator

Hello Edgar,

Not quite!

Here’s how it works, briefly, to encrypt a file.

1. A 128- or 256-bit key is generated with a strong cryptographic pseudorandom number generator.
    2. The file is encrypted with this key.
    3. The key is encrypted using an iterative algorithm called NIST AES Key Wrap, with the number of rounds determined by the speed of your device. I.e. the faster the computer, the stronger the key encryption is.
    4. The key is also encrypted using your public RSA-4096 key we generated for you.
    5. The key is also encrypted using the public RSA-4096 keys of people you have enabled key sharing with.
    6. All of these versions of the encrypted key are included in the file, both at the start and at the end for redundancy.

Your private RSA-4096 key, which we store on the server for backup and device synchronization/initialization purposes, is encrypted with AxCrypt, using your password with the above procedure but with steps 4 & 5 skipped for obvious reasons.

Once you have signed in for the first time on a device, your private key is cached locally and Internet access is no longer required.

Hope this clears things up!

Svante

#3343 Reply

Edgar

Thank you Svante! Now it is clear for me.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Reply To: Must be logged?
Your information: