Forums Help & support Is it possible to change location of AxCrypt's temporary folder?

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Prabhukumar R 3 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Sordoko

Hi,

Right now the temporary folder is “C:\Users\USER\AppData\Local\Temp\axcrypt1”.

Since C drive is on an SSD which as you know cannot be trusted to erase a file when it’s removed in the OS by the user (and overwriting doesn’t help either because it probably overwrites the data in another block due to wear-leveling and such) I would like to change this temporary folder to another location. How can I do that?

Also another question – Why don’t you hold the temp files in RAM instead of on the drive – Wouldn’t it be better in terms of data remanence?

Thank you.

#19179 Reply

Prabhukumar R

Hello Sordoko,

We do not offer the option to change the install location. The reason is that too many users choose unsuitable locations, such as removable drives. For power users it is still possible to override by extracting the MSI and setting the parameter there.

This issue is a somewhat related to this post https://forum.axcrypt.net/forums/topic/silent-installation/ .

Sorry to say, AxCrypt doesn’t support the option to change the install location.

2. we will inform our team.

#19180 Reply

Sordoko

Hi, thanks for the answer.

Regarding 1) I don’t want to change the install location but rather the temp folder in which the files are copied to unencrypted when opening an encrypted *.axx file. (meaning if I now double click an *.axx file what happens behind the scenes is that the file is unencrypted and temporarily placed in the folder “C:\Users\USER\AppData\Local\Temp\axcrypt1” and once I close the file its encrypted again an deleted from the temp folder) – this is the folder I would like to change. How could I do that? I’ve tried to extract the AxCrypt.exe and I see files but all of them are binaries which I can’t change.

Regarding 2) Please do pass to the team as I think it’s important, thanks.

#19186 Reply

Prabhukumar R

Hello Sordoko,

I have understood your question. Sorry to say, AxCrypt doesn’t support the option to change the temp location.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Reply To: Is it possible to change location of AxCrypt's temporary folder?
Your information: