Forums Help & support Forgot File Password

This topic contains 19 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Prabhukumar R 4 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author

Ritik Vyas

Sir, I have forgot my original file password and now I’m unable to change it or decrypt my files although I have signed in successfully please help me in this regard.

#11382 Reply

Svante
    Spectator

Hello Ritik,

Unfortunately, if you do not know the password for an AxCrypt-encrypted file you cannot open it, even if you can sign in to the account. This is by design, it’s just this situation that AxCrypt is made for and it works like this even if you actually are the original owner of the file.

Please check the FAQ at https://forum.axcrypt.net/support/faq/ for more information.

#11551 Reply

Bernard MARTIN

Hello, i have files encrypted with AxCrypt 1 and i know the “encryption key” that worked with it.

I had to restore Windows 10 and AXCrypt 1 is no more on my laptop: how can i get an old version?

or How can i decrypt the same files with AxCrypt 2 (i had to restore Windows and AXCrypt 1 is no more on my laptop).

PS: i do not remenber the password that I created initially to logon my  AxCrypt 1 account associated with the above email but i do remember the encryption key for AxCrypt1.

Thanks for your kind help.

#11552 Reply

Bernard MARTIN

My files encrypted with AxCrypt 1 are on a USB key that i own. (not in the online password files of my account).

#11553 Reply

Svante
    Spectator

Hello Bernard,

You can decrypt your AxCrypt 1-encrypted files with AxCrypt 2. Just sign in to AxCrypt 2, and select “decrypt”. If your AxCrypt 2 password is not the same one used to encrypt the file, you will be prompted for the original password.

#11555 Reply

Bernard MARTIN

Thanks for such a prompt reply.

I do not remenber the password i used initially with AxCrypt 1: is the crypt/decrypt key the same as the password?

I do know the crypt key i used but not the password: so is there a way to request a password change somewhere if key and password are two different items?

So far i did not create a new password for AxCrypt 2.

#11556 Reply

Svante
    Spectator

Hello Bernard,

Sorry, but I do not understand what you mean when you differentiate between “password” and “crypt/decrypt key”. There’s always just the password – which is used to encrypt/decrypt.

So, when you say “_I do know the crypt key i used but not the password_” I don’t now quite what you mean.

If you have forgotten the password used to encrypt the original file, then you can’t decrypt. Please read the FAQ at https://forum.axcrypt.net/ .

#11582 Reply

Bernard MARTIN

Thks Svante, in fact to decrypt my old AxCrypt 1 file i had to take two different steps:

1. login to AxCrypt via Internet and for this i was requested a login password. It has nothing to do with the “crypt password” (i call it “crypt key”) that i used before and that i still have.

2. once logged in and connected, i could click on the decrypt button and was prompted for the original password and it worked fine.

As far as i can remember, before when i was using AxCrypt 1 i never had to login . Everything was done locally on my laptop and it worked fine all the time. So something must have changed or maybe i was just unaware of the necessity to login each time to encrypt or decrypt a file with Ax Crypt 2. A new strategy?

Anyway i recovered all i needed and i wanted to thank you.  Sorry if i was not clear enough before.

Bernard

#15297 Reply

Atiq

I have encrypted some photos with axcrypt in an old hard drive,now i need those photos but i can’t remember the password to decrypt it.What is the solution

#15298 Reply

Bernard MARTIN

Atiq, I am afraid you must know the original password as when i had problems it was the version of AxCript that changed and i had written my old password on an USB key;

here is the information i received at that time fron AxCript:

“You can decrypt your AxCrypt 1-encrypted files with AxCrypt 2. Just sign in to AxCrypt 2, and select “decrypt”. If your AxCrypt 2 password is not the same one used to encrypt the file, you will be prompted for the original password.

If you have forgotten the password used to encrypt the original file, then you can’t decrypt. Please read the FAQ at https://forum.axcrypt.net/ .”

Post Link: https://forum.axcrypt.net/forums/topic/forgot-file-password/#post-11553

———–

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to a forum topic.

#15299 Reply

Bernard MARTIN

Atiq, when i say i remembered the “old password” it was the “encryption key” or “encryption password”  i remembered.

The password to login on AxCript was different and i was allowed to reset it.

hope this helps.

#15309 Reply

Prabhukumar R

Hello Bernard MARTIN,

AxCrypt 1.x and 2.x are compatible in the sense that 2.x can open all files secured with 1.x.

If you open files encrypted with a different password than your sign in password, which often is the case directly after upgrading to version 2, you will be prompted for that original password. If the file was encrypted with version 1, it will then be automatically upgraded to version 2 and to use the new sign in password which means you won’t be prompted again for the old password.

If you think you almost know the password, we have simple software allowing you to try to find your password, and you can download the most recent version from https://account.axcrypt.net/Download/AxBruteForce.exe and read of how to use it at https://forum.axcrypt.net/axcrypt-brute-force/ . Please note that we cannot provide support beyond this.

If you do not remember the password to your account, you can always reset it. This is not a way to recover encrypted files! It’s only to allow you to sign in to the AxCrypt app and web.

#18270 Reply

Narendra Sahebrao Sathe

i forgot old password which i used to encrypt the files

#18282 Reply

AxCrypt Suppoert

Hello Narendra Sahebrao Sathe,

AxCrypt will allow the users to decrypt the encrypted file with the original password which is used for encryption.

If the file was encrypted with a different password than your sign in password, then you have to enter the file password while viewing/decrypting the encrypted file.

While viewing the encrypted file (having different password than your sign in password), you have to enter the file password. If you enter the AxCrypt account password instead of file password, So you need to enter the file password.

If you think you almost know the password, we have simple software allowing you to try to find your password, and you can download the most recent version from https://account.axcrypt.net/Download/AxBruteForce.exe and read of how to use it at https://forum.axcrypt.net/axcrypt-brute-force/ . Please note that we cannot provide support beyond this.

Unfortunately, if you do not know the password for an AxCrypt-encrypted file you cannot open it, even if you can sign in to the account. This is by design, it’s just this situation that AxCrypt is made for and it works like this even if you actually are the original owner of the file.

#22127 Reply

kapodust

Hi, I have some old AES-128-V1 files and cannot open them (anymore) with AxCrypt 2.11585
    I know I used to open them with the older verson of axcrypt (but can’t remember whether  I used a key file or password).
    Does it make sense to update them to AES-256   (One of my files appear to have been upgraded and I can access it without getting asked for a separate/aditional password (i.e.) is uses the one from my axcrypt account I’d guess)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
Reply To: Forgot File Password
Your information: