Forums Community Do I need an internet connection

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Prabhukumar R 2 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Dee Ach

Do I understand correctly, that I can only use Axcrypt if I have an internet connection?  I try to login when I’m offline, but it says that my password is wrong (not true).  Then I go online, and I can login.  If this is how the system works, then how would I open an important file if I actually did not have internet access?  I guess this isn’t a terminal issue, just one that one needs to be aware of.

I’m still testing this system, after downloading it a few weeks ago.  I am very hesitant to apply it to my files until I am very comfortable with how it works and fully understand its nuances.  I am also a little worried what might happen in a few years, if say the company disappeared for some reason or another.  If that were to happen, would I still be able to use the system / open my files.

Thanks for the feedback.

#11491 Reply

Txcrlb

I have the same question. Do I have to have a Internet connection to AxCrypt to access my encrypted files using their freeware version?

#11492 Reply

Azhaguraja B
    Keymaster

Hello Txcrlb,

No need internet to encrypt/decrypt your files using the AxCrypt app.

Internet is required for every first time of sign in to the AxCrypt app.

For example: If you had done the password reset to your AxCrypt account using our account site, then the updated account information needs to be updated in your local system to access the AxCrypt app with the updated password.

#25497 Reply

Second thought

Fwiw to the devs:

I am a new user, freshly installed, just googled this issue, and Im probably just uninstalling and moving on.

The ambiguous replies around this CRUCIAL point are making me rethink using this software. In this thread and others, I did not find what I expected, which was at a minimum an extremely explicite set of scenarios by which a web login could be required. “every first time of sign in” means what, exactly? What scenarios other than the first ever launch of a fresh install could generate a login requirement?

Tbh, even after reviewing your reasons for this setup, I do not understand why a function that could ever possibly cause lockout due to web login would even be on the table for encryption software.

#25738 Reply

Prabhukumar R

Hello ,

AxCrypt desktop app can work without internet – App status changed to offline when the user starts the app without internet. But we always advised/suggested to all of our users to start the AxCrypt app with the internet at least for the first time – to sync the user account information from our servers to users local.

AxCrypt user’s information is securely stored in our servers. When the user tries to sign in to the AxCrypt app, it requires the user’s account information to validate, sync the subscription status and decide the encryption level, etc. AxCrypt app tries to connect our servers to sync the account and subscription when the user signs in. That’s the reason we always suggest that users start the AxCrypt app with internet enabled.

For more info, please refer to our website and blogs 

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Reply To: Do I need an internet connection
Your information: