Forums Community Change or Delete Local Password

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Prabhukumar R 4 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Gonzalo

Hello,

Could somebody explain me how to change or delete the local password I created with v.1, I want only one password, the online account password.

Thank you!

#10680 Reply

Svante
    Spectator

Hello Gonzalo,

There is no “local password” with AxCrypt 1.x in any meaningful sense. Each file encrypted with AxCrypt 1 is encrypted with the password used at the time. To ‘change’ it, you’ll have to decrypt it and re-encrypt it. AxCrypt 2 normally does this automatically when you open an AxCrypt 1 file. There is also a function in AxCrypt 1 to upgrade version 1 files to version 2, and at the same time of course re-encrypt them using your version 2 password. This is probably the function you are looking for.

#10689 Reply

Gonzalo

If I enter the “local passworld” instead of the “online account password”, this is the message I see:

What does it mean? I have two passwords? A local and an online? I wanted to delete the local password created who knows when… lol.

Thank you!

#10690 Reply

Svante
    Spectator

Hello Gonzalo,

When you successfully sign in with your online AxCrypt ID password (i.e. our server verifies that the password is correct), the necessary information is synchronized with your local PC.

If you subsequently do:

1) Change the online password via the web.

2) Prevent AxCrypt from accessing the server in one way or another.

3) Sign in to AxCrypt on your local PC, and provide the password originally used before you did 1) and 2), then you’ll get the above dialogue.

#13955 Reply

Joe Bloggs

I also have this problem. I’ve changed my password to a more secure one which works fine, but if I input the old password I get the screen shown above saying that I’m signing in with a local password, but the old password still lets me access the files. How do I prevent the old password from working?

Thanks.

#13968 Reply

Prabhukumar R

Hello Joe Bloggs,

Internet is Required for the first time of login after resetting the account password via the AxCrypt account site. Because AxCrypt will try to sync your subscription and account information from our secured servers to your local Application.

So try to sign in to the AxCrypt app with internet enabled.

please try to clear the AxCrypt local contents by clicking the Reset button in the sign in dialog or via the AxCrypt file menu File | Options | Clear All Settings & Restart.

Still are you facing the same problem,Please feel free to contact our support via support@axcrypt.net .

#14924 Reply

Mark Houghton

I have the identical problem that Joe Bloggs and Gonzalo have above.  I installed AxCrypt on my laptop initially with a good password.  But have since changed it.  It’s a more advanced password for both the website and for new files to be encrypted.  That all works fine, but I can still decrypt/encrypt files using the first password, and I get the “local password” message Gonzalo shows above.  I don’t want a local password.  I thought I changed my password for all my files but apparently I haven’t – I now have two passwords.

The above explanations do not resolve the problem.  Further, if I sign into AxCrypt using the more advanced password, and encrypt a brand new file using the same advanced password, I can still encrypt/decrypt that new file using the old unwanted local password.  How do I resolve?  My goal is to have my single more advanced password required to encrypt all of my files, new and old. Thanks.

#14939 Reply

Prabhukumar R

Hello Mark Houghton,

I will explain more about, what is local mode?

You might be used your old AxCrypt password(which is different from the one that is exists in our account server) to sign in to the AxCrypt app.

If users used an old AxCrypt account password to sign in with the AxCrypt app, then the AxCrypt app will warn the user with local mode.

You can also use the AxCrypt app in local mode. But the currently used sign in password will be used to encrypt the files. We do not suggest the users to use it in local mode, unless any special cases.

So, Please use your latest password to sign in with the AxCrypt app(internet enabled) without any issues.

Or

Please try to clear the AxCrypt local contents by clicking the Reset button in the sign in dialog or via the AxCrypt file menu File | Options | Clear All Settings & Restart.

Then uninstall the AxCrypt app and install the latest version of the AxCrypt app. You can download the same from our official website: https://forum.axcrypt.net/download/.

Now install the AxCrypt app(with internet connection) and try to start AxCrypting……without any issue.

Please do not forgot the password which was used in the file encryption with the AxCrypt. Because you need the same password to decrypt the AxCrypt encrypted files in AxCrypt.

still, you are facing any issue, please provide more information about the issue and write a mail to support@axcrypt.net.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
Reply To: Change or Delete Local Password
Your information: