Forums Help & support Can't open encrypted file with password created

This topic contains 11 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Svante 5 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Rosa

After creating a password, I was notified it was going to be saved and that I wouldn’t need to enter it again when opening a document, however, when I attempted to open the document, I was prompted to enter the password. After doing so, the document didn’t open, and instead I got an error message saying I was already signed in with that password. HELP!

#8385 Reply

Svante
    Spectator

Hello Rosa,

From our logs, we can see that you downloaded AxCrypt, created an account, and set a password. Then, about 3 hours later, you signed again to the web site and among other things changed the password.

This means there are two passwords in play. Please sign out and exit from AxCrypt, then ensure you are online, sign in again with the new password and try again. If the file still does not open, please use the original password you set when you created the account.

#8418 Reply

Rosa

Thanks for the feedback! I did change the password after creating it for the first time because every time I attempted to open the file, I got the same message saying I was already logged in with that password. I did what you suggested, logged out and tried to log in again using the original password I created and it didn’t work (it said the password was wrong). I tried using the second password I created and got the message again: You are already signed in with this password. My question is: if I am already signed in, why does AxCrypt continue to prompt me to enter the password? and why doesn’t the document open?

#8419 Reply

Svante
    Spectator

Hello Rosa,

The file is encrypted using a password. That password is apparently different than the one you are signed in with. It thus does not help to enter it again, it’s already tried. That’s why the message says you’re already signed in with that password.

I’m wondering – did you encrypt the document, or did someone send it to you?

If someone sent it to you, they need to use the key sharing feature in order for you to be able to open it. If they do this, the file is updated to include a key for you so you can open it – but they will need to resend the file to you after adding you as a recipient. All this is explained on our web page https://forum.axcrypt.net/ .

#8427 Reply

Rosa

Thanks! Yes, the document was encrypted and sent to me. I contacted the sender and they stated the document had been sent using the Key Share format with my email added as the recipient. I still can’t open the document and don’t know what else to do. This is an important work document.

#8428 Reply

Bryce

Rosa, the person needs to share the file with you first before sending it to you.

Ask the sender to share it with you again and then send the file to you.

Direct the sender to this video and ask that they follow the simple instructions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grDPq8qKwF0

#11510 Reply

Neeraj Goel

I created an encrypted file long ago around in 2007. Now I am trying to open it but the password is not working. To my memory password is correct. What to do? Please help.

#11541 Reply

Svante
    Spectator

Hello Neeraj Goel,

You will have to remember the password – if that’s what AxCrypt says is the problem. Please remember that passwords are case and space-sensitive! I.e. “password” is different from “Password” and “a secret” is different from “asecret”.

#12005 Reply

Warren

I’m having exactly the same problem. I have been having this issue for a while and have finally given up. I encrypted my files and keep getting the “you are already signed in with this password” error message. I recently changed the password to see if this would have any effect, but nothing.

Have tried both the new and old password, and the new password gives me the “you are already signed in” error message, the old password says “wrong password”.

I am trying to open the files on the original computer on which they were encrypted. I was the one who encrypted them, and I am the one trying to open them. They were not sent to me.

Axcrypt needs to acknowledge that this is a problem with their software and fix it accordingly.

#12104 Reply

Azhaguraja B
    Keymaster

Hello Warren,

AxCrypt will allow the users to decrypt the encrypted file with the original password which is used for encryption.

I think you perhaps are not careful enough when you type the password – or you are not aware that upper and lower case characters are different, and spaces and accents are significant when typing the password.

Also Password Reset and Password Change both are not a same functionality. For more info, please check our blog: https://forum.axcrypt.net/blog/password-reset-axcrypt/ .

Unfortunately, if you do not know the password for an AxCrypt-encrypted file you cannot open it, even if you can sign in to the account. This is by design, it’s just this situation that AxCrypt is made for and it works like this even if you actually are the original owner of the file.

If you think you almost know the password, we have simple software allowing you to try to find your password, and you can download the most recent version from https://account.axcrypt.net/Download/AxBruteForce.exe and read of how to use it at https://forum.axcrypt.net/axcrypt-brute-force/ . Please note that we cannot provide support beyond this.

So Please remember and enter the file password and decrypt the encrypted files.

Please Note: Password Reset is not the way to recover the encrypted files.

#12484 Reply

Winston

I am setting up a new computer and installing new programs. I downloaded Axcrypt earlier on the new computer and after installing it prompted me to input my name and email address. It noted that it already have my email address then it asked for a password.

After inputting that info it said the password was incorrect. I was able to open my encrypted files on my old computer and don’t know how to proceed past this point. your help will be appreciated.

#12486 Reply

Svante
    Spectator

Hello Winston,

Can you send screenshots of the situation please?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
Reply To: Can't open encrypted file with password created
Your information: